Tuesday, January 6, 2009

Horrible person or tired pregnant woman?


For Christmas Rob bought me this awesome vacuum. It's small and cordless for when you want to grab it quickly and vacuum up a few crumbs. The handle has the ability to extend but... if you choose NOT to extend it, it is just the right size for a small child to use. We also bought Henry a little "Dirty Devil" vacuum toy that is the same size and color as the real vacuum. (I know a vacuum is an odd present for a two year old boy, but he is obsessed with vacuuming. Such a domestic little man) So basically when Henry is "vacuuming" I get out the real vacuum and let Maggie loose. That's right. My four year old daughter has turned into a tiny vacuuming slave. She loves it! She goes totally nuts and vacuums up every last crumb! She asks me all day when she can vacuum next. BUT I FEEL HORRIBLY GUILTY! MY CHILD IS CLEANING MY HOUSE FOR ME AT THE TENDER AGE OF FOUR! At first I thought it was hysterical, but now I feel as though I have tricked her or something. So I ask for your opinion: Horrible person or tired pregnant woman. Honesty please.

14 comments:

Jennifer said...

Neither! I say, GOOD MOM! I think it's good to teach 'em young, and as long as she likes to do it, you might as well let her. You shouldn't worry your little pregnant self with stuff like that. I'm totally serious, I think there are too many lazy kids out there.

erin said...

If it makes you feel any better, both Caroline and Grace vacuum the kitchen for me almost daily with the little vacuum.

And if you'll recall Ariel and Anja, I do let them tackle the real deal for the play room every once in a while! :)

erin said...

Ok, this is Jay, not Erin. I'm logged in as her because I just fixed her blog and forgot to log out. Oops!

Diana & CJ said...

pretty funny

Beth said...

Christian loves our swiffer floor vacuum and begs to vacuum every day, don't feel bad :)

Jordan and Katie said...

If you're horrible then I am too because I have Joey vacuum often, even though he doesn't pick up much.

Katie said...

GENIUS. Pure GENIUS. I will remember this one for sure. Love it.

Natalie said...

I want one of those vacuums. My neice has one of the toy ones but it doesn't pick up much. I like the idea of one that actually works. As long as the kids think its fun then it definately isn't slave labor... and what kid doesn't love to vacuum.

Susan said...

Micah loves to help me vacuum. I say let Maggie clean. She's just helping Mom.

Carrie Hellewell said...

I don't know what Mags is wearing but I want one in a grown-up size. I love the fringe waggling around as she so desperately tries to vacuum. Very sweet.

And please, Roxie has a broom and mop to help clean up.

Sister Pottymouth said...

What a great idea! T-- got a toy vacuum for his birthday a couple of years ago, and he loved it. I'm all for teaching boys (and girls) the value of hard work at a young age.

cAsSy said...

That is too funny! It is building her domestic skills. It's a good time for her to grow and learn to care for things. I think you should put 'awesome mother for teaching life skills' into your choices. :)

Jenn said...

no way :) my oldest loves to vacuum :) loves loves loves it .. that was like his first word :)
and this is jenn (rob's cousin) you are due on eli's first b-day :o)
-jenn

Megan said...

um, seriously? she likes it. there should be absolutely no guilt here. none.

now if i can just figure out how to get my maggie to like dusting. "ooh! look! you spray the Pledge and then wipe it off. this is so much fun!"