Saturday, February 28, 2009

Finn



Our sweet, tiny Finn is here and what a welcome little addition he is to our home!

Finley Lewis McDowell was born February 20th (the day Rob proposed to me 8 years ago!) at 7:10am. He weighed in at 7lb 9oz and was 21 inches long. There were no complications other than a mild case of jaundice. He has LOTS of black hair and looks like Maggie when she was a baby. He is very mild and patient and a great little eater! Maggie and Henry are completely in love with him, especially Maggie. They are very "helpful" and try hard not to be "wild around the baby". Maggie is constantly asking to hold him. She sings lullabies to him and kisses him on his head and says things like "Finn likes me, mommy! I'm a very good sister for him!" Yesterday she came in to me as I was feeding Finn and said "Mommy, now I want a sister." I told her I'd get right on that.

This afternoon Finn was surprisingly alert so I held him up to my face so that he could focus on me. I talked to him for half an hour about how amazing he is and what a wonderful surprise he was for us. His darling face was so content as he listened to me, full of innocents and love. You can sense how close a newborn is to God when you hold them. What a spiritual experience it is to be in his presence. It is overwhelming at times, how privileged I feel to have this beautiful little creature in my life. That feeling combined with hormones and sleep deprivation equals lots of happy mommy tears falling on his tiny head. There is an angel at our house and we feel so very lucky to have him!













22 comments:

cAsSy said...

I don't say this about a lot of babies....He is cute! I love the name Fin. I love his hair. I should come by and see him. I hope your healing well and having fun with him.

:: ashley :: said...

Oh my -Lily, he is so handsome! I love dark hair on babies, you all look so happy and beautiful!
CONGRATULATIONS!

my favorite color is green said...

yeah! I'm glad everything is going so well for you guys and that your kiddos are excited about Finn. Congrats to all of you.

The Cannons said...

He's adorable and you look great Lilly!!! I wish I could look that amazing when I'm in the hospital!! I'll have to come meet him the next time we're in Utah. Good work. You and Rob have a great gene pool!!!

Jenn said...

Oh my goodness he is so beautiful!! Congrats you two !! I love his name too! What a beautiful blog post :)

Susan said...

He is so handsome! I love and agree with what you wrote about being close to God when in a little baby's presence and all of the happy mommy tears! It is so true. Congratulations!

Megan said...

Lilly, He is so beautiful. That hair! Oh my goodness. And I've never seen anybody look so good after giving birth. Next time (like after you give birth to Maggie's sister next year...) could you try to look sweaty, fatigued, and fat like I usually do? I'm so happy for you and your adorable little family.

Diana said...

Good photos! He's sure cute. I love babie with lots of hair.

Natalie said...

Congratulations!!! What a cute baby! And I love the name Finn. Also, your hair looks insanely good in these pictures.

Sarah Pace said...

Congradulations you guys!!
He's Beautiful!!

Katie said...

Congratulations!! Finn is sooooooooo cute! I love his little face. I'm so happy for you that the birth went well (especially after hearing all about your past birth nightmares). He looks like such a sweet baby and I will speak for Jacob in saying that we are both very, very happy for you. :)

Carrie Hellewell said...

Well, he is adorable it's true. I've witnessed it. He's more than adorable. I love you so much and am so glad he's here. Thanks for the talk the other day and most likely many more to come. See you soon!

Holly Anderson said...

Not only is baby Fin adorable, but let's talk for just a moment about how dang good the just gave birth mom looks! Who are you?!
Also, I love how following this post is an advertisement to sell your older children. So THAT'S how you moms of multiples do it! Just sell them off and keep making 'em! I can do that!

The Fagnant Family said...

He is soooo perfectly beautiful!! I know he is a baby boy but he really is beautiful! He seems so sweet and new looking. And Lilly you look wonderful! I wish I looked that good after wesley's birth. Oh, and I love his name, it fits him well. Take care of yourself! Love Alli-son

jayna said...

Holy pretty baby! Congratulations you guys!! Another adorable addition to the world...is it wrong that I pray nightly that he will grow tall enough to marry Lila?

Love you guys!

Hyo said...

Congrats!! Oh my goodness he does look like Maggie!! And girl, you look fabulous for just giving birth in those pictures. Well, again, congrats to the family. Best wishes during the newborn stage.

Jennifer said...

BEAUTIFUL!!! Finn's pretty cute too. But why do you look like you just adopted him rather than gave birth to him. It kinda makes me want to smack you, but I won't. I'll just say I love you and you're beautiful and CONGRATULATIONS!!!!!

(my word verification is "retric", reminds me of Retrix.)

Scott, Fia, Tre, and CJ said...

LILY! What a cutie! And what an awesome name! Congratulations!

Beth said...

Oh Lilly! He's beautiful. I'm so sorry I didn't make it to the hospital to see you, we all had colds. I'm excited to see you at bunco, can't wait to talk!

Jesse and Tiffany said...

Congrats Lily he is beautiful! Of course he would be Maggie and Henry both are so dang cute too!! I am so happy to see your doing so Great!!! Miss you!

Megan said...

Oh yes I remember that boy named dan song. And I sing that song quite often to my husband of the same name. I also remember how hilarious we thought we were saying "DAN YOU!" all the time. Those were the days my dear LIlly.

Karolyn said...

Lilly, you are so right... I love the pictures! I feel like he is half mine! We need to work out shared custody! I love that boy! He has totally captured my heart. Now when ever I see the basinet I want him to be in it! I can't wait 'til May 2 or whenever your anniversary is!